I've had a few questions about the NSW Travel Permit and when you need one over the last few days. I hope the following information helps.

  • From Saturday 28 August 2021, if you live in regional and rural NSW and need to enter a local government area of concern for work, you will need to register for travel.

  • The travel registration is valid for a maximum of 14 days and you will need to reapply if, you are travelling for more than 14 days, or your travel dates change or need to be amended.

  • You must carry your travel registration and supporting documents with you at all times as you will need to provide these to NSW Police if requested.

  • In regional and rural NSW, you DO NOT need to register for a NSW Travel Permit if you need to travel within the LGA you reside, such as Maitland or to a LGA that is NOT a LGA of concern such as Newcastle, Cessnock, Port Stephens, Singleton (just to give a few examples). BUT remember, you must have a reasonable excuse to leave your home.

  • You can check if you need to register your travel within NSW, using the link below enter the address you’re starting from, and the address you’re planning on travelling to: https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/nsw-travel-address-check

For more details about the NSW Travel Permit and how to apply visit https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/rules/travel-registration

Remember before you travel​ you must have a reasonable excuse to leave home.